Happy Book Lovers Day, dear readers. Did you forget it was Book Lovers Day? Did you even know it was Book Lovers Day? I didn’t, until an alert appeared on my phone last night.
But since we’re all here, we might as well commandeer a patch of grass and enjoy a side of sunshine along with our reads today. Or lurk near an A/C and savor our books with a glass of rosé. You do you.
Before we get down to business, let’s take a moment to honor the singular sensation that was Toni Morrison. No one could capture her legacy better than these writers.
Here’s what you missed this week:
- Was Steinbeck a spy? Also, is “celebrity spy” an oxymoron? (The Daily Beast)
- If they’re giving out prizes at the debates, Marianne Williamson wins for Most Interesting Bibliography (and that’s putting it mildly). (Entertainment Weekly)
- On this Book Lovers Day, ask yourself: what would the Golden Girls read? (NYPL)
- Read on for Trick Mirror author Jia Tolentino’s beauty recs and the copy she snuck into her New Yorker articles that would make E.B. White blush. (Into the Gloss)
- After this trash fire of a week, we need to take a moment in the Literary Lot. (ABC News)